Tuesday 4 October 2016

#KabulenganeReloaded


Ma Lihanna’s maid, the one of the “we don’t have electricity” fat lie was shown the door. I’m not really sure when it happened, probably last week when I was away at work. Anyway, there is a new maid whose name I’m yet to learn. But one thing I know is that Ma Lihanna( bless her as she travels the region on her lipstick and perfume sales), is in for an uphill task.
So, there was a loud disco playing in the area last night at around 11:30pm. The estate is usually quiet, save for the invasion by the Balokole who can sing till 2am, but they’re rather far off, and it is only when the wind carries their voices, that it gets really irritating.
Now, this tonight disco was so loud that even I, tucked into my corner bedroom in the Mansion, awoke with a start and couldn't go back to sleep. I got up and drew the curtains aside. Nothing. But this Kabulengane did not sound like it belonged to the Balokole.
The sleuth in me took over. I had to investigate the source of this din, because I am one of those people who cannot bear “injustices” like these.
When I got to the sitting room, I could clearly hear Bebe Cool crooning “Kimanye tubakwana banji, abalina cash nabatalina nsimbi, see what a party night…” I didn't wait for the chorus.
I guessed it was coming from the house over the wall. I threw on my nightgown, and opened the front door into the night, bravely following the noise and feeling like Nancy Drew.
What I saw next made my heart stop. The chink in the curtains was allowing me to see Ma Lihanna’s new maid (I guessed it was her) in a t-shirt material mini- dress, short hair and all, gyrating like the girl in Bebe Cool’s video. I felt like a fraud but this was a sight to behold!
The TV was turned on loud. I don't know on what channel, but one of those that has a late night music show on Monday nights.
Ma Lihanna’s maid was prancing around the sitting room like a mad hen as she did the Kabulengane challenge. She was twisting and untwisting her waist, strutting with her one hand on her head another minute, leaping onto the sofa as she shook her bum, and twerking with her back to the TV. When the male dancers' started their thing, she moved closer to the screen... and then it got to the part of the challenge between the girls in bright tights and the ones wearing Ganda traditional dress, (allow me to go local here) n’egubula asala! Hoii!
The girls- Lihanna and her little sister - were also trying out their dancing skills and would join in at intervals.
I don't know why, but I laughed. Loudly. Not because it was funny but because it looked so ridiculous. 11:30pm. School night. Disco night as well. Kids not in bed. Maid dancing like crazy woman in a trance.
I knocked on the door and told them to turn it down and ordered the kids to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment