Saturday 8 October 2016

#thequietpreacher

Asio Jane is not like other preachers who shout in your face and ears, forcing you to “embrace Jesus Christ as your Lord and Personal Savior!”
Asio Jane is not like the street preacher who bakes in the sun all day pacing up and down the long lines of traffic as he brandishes his Bible at motorists who roll up their windows when they see him approaching.
Asio Jane does not deliver her sermon to a taxi packed with frustrated business-people tired after a long day of work and no customers.
Asio Jane packages her message differently.
In the taxi I took to work today, Asio Jane was in the seat in front of mine; that one that is two seats behind the driver. She reached into her bag and took out many folded A4 papers. Like school newsletters. She handed one each to the two young boys sitting in front of her, then to the girl next to her. I thought, “Oh, those must be her kids she’s taking to school. Then to the conductor. Eh, this was now getting interesting. He looked at her and shook his head. Then she turned behind and handed one to me then about four to my neighbor. The Hajj sitting in the corner ignored any attempts to take the paper.
I had thought maybe she was advertising a school. Or herbal medicine. Or a business of sorts.
But Asio Jane was delivering her message. Readings from the Bible. Seven verses from the New Testament. Messages on knowing God- our Maker.
Asio Jane then quietly told the conductor “Mu maaso awo”, and disembarked.
I do not know Asio Jane but I was grateful that she did not shout in my face and ears, forcing me to “embrace Jesus Christ as my Lord and Personal Savior”.

No comments:

Post a Comment