Tuesday 16 August 2016

#phonegoesforaswim 1


You know how when…
Your phone falls in the loo! (Reminiscing about my radio days)

That was one of my most memorable mornings on radio. I have this weird habit (c’mon I know many of you do too…) of carrying my phone with me everywhere I go, even to the loo.
It was about seven minutes to 7am, I had to be in the studio at five to, to compose myself to read the bulletin. 


I picked my phone from the desk and dashed to the bathroom for a quick stopover. Business was done in a minute and the toilet flushed. 


I guess I must have been a bit absent-minded when I reached for the phone which I had placed on the wooden box behind the water tank, because I remember that my hand went to pick up the gadget, then something happened. 


Its a funny surreal feeling, when something like this happens before your very eyes and you can do nothing but watch - kind of like the feeling you get when you’re falling and waiting to hit the ground. You shut your eyes and want to stop it but you can’t. 


Anyway, the next thing I heard was a huge plop- as the Muganda in me will say “bwe kata!!!” My new blue Nokia 3310, which I had bought just five days earlier had plunged into the toilet bowl!
No, it was not floating. It was sitting at the bottom, face up, looking at me. 


Now, remember I had less than five minutes to the bulletin and here I was stuck in this stall with my phone inside the loo. Heeeeeehhh!


What did I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment