Wednesday 8 December 2021

@everythinsgoinsouth

Her sacking letter came today. A few minutes after she settled into her chair and put her bag down. Somebody was sent to call her to the Boss' office. The look on her face when she returned was thunder. The dismissal was to take immediate effect.
Just a few months ago she told me that her sister had asked her to move out since she was now married and did not want, in her own words, "hangers-on".
To make matters worse, her relationship was stuck. Her boyfriend was always out of town, he never texted or called back and kept lying to her. She had planned on moving in with him but now doubted if he even loved her.

In 2013, my six-year relationship ended abruptly. So unceremoniously. There was no reason given, no bye, nothing. Just like that he broke it off. Without a word.
Then someone at work went around spreading rumors about me, saying that I was stealing money from the company.
A few weeks later, my father fell sick and was in hospital for a month.
Then my boss blasted me in her office, calling me incompetent and threatening how she I would soon be out of a job.
At that point I felt I was drowning. I thought I was about to run mad because everything was happening so fast. My blood pressure rose and I was in and out of hospital every week. I could not focus. My home life suffered. I was always tired and irritable and controlling. Relaxing was out of the question. One day I could not even go to work because I did not feel like it. My world had crashed down!

In all this, I remember one prayer that became like a mantra of sorts "God help me. Give me the strength to go through this."

In all this, as I tried to find my bearings, I remembered that I had been through things in my life that made me wonder how I would make it through the day. But the days had turned into weeks and the weeks into months and the months into years, and the problem had simply melted into nothingness and I had not even noticed.
I began to realise the true power of God. That He is working all the time, whether we are happy or sad. He cares, He listens, He does not let us suffer beyond what we can carry. 

A friend of mine recently lost her baby. She miscarried at six months. She told me she cannot sleep and has problems concentrating. As a result her marriage is suffering, her children cannot seem to get her attention. And because she has been away from work for some time, the company took the decision to relieve her of her duties.
I did not want to preach to her. I reminded her of God's goodness and that there is a reason that this is all happening. Her short answers told me she did not really believe what I was saying.
I have been praying for her and I believe she will be better.

In all, my greatest belief is in God. That He has a bigger plan for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment