Friday 3 February 2017

#eve'spunishment

The shopkeeper kept ignoring me and yet I had been standing there for close to five minutes telling her what I wanted, but she kept serving other customers. Even those who had come after me. And left before me. Just as I was about to walk off in a huff, she said, “Madam, kozzi ogambyee nkuwe Always?” She pronounced it Oluwez.
“Yee!” I could have yelled.
She looked around furtively, then reached for a stool, climbed on to it and reached for the packet of sanitary towels. She placed it out of view. Like she was hiding something.
“Mmeka? How much?” I asked.
“Madam, zijjakubeera nkumi ssatu.” 3,000 shillings. I know a pack is sold at 2,500 shillings in town, but with these village shops, you never know.
“Olina akaveera?
Plastic bag for what now?
“Sirina.”
She peeled off a small size black bag from the nail on the shelves behind. Another furtive look around, then she quickly and secretively shoved the packet of pads into the kaveera.
Bannange, now all this drama for what??
So what is so unholy, so taboo, about sanitary towels that the whole purchasing process should be treated like there is a bribe being exchanged? That time of the month is a completely normal process that should not make anyone ashamed.
And that shopkeeper has a TV in her shop.
And...I'm certain she watches the Oluwez advert and sings along as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment