Tuesday 22 May 2018

#pilingonthepounds

My sister was kind: You’ve put on some weight since I last saw you.

My boss was blunt: You’ve really put on weight, ah!

The driver could not hide his shock: Eh! Ogezze!

A long-lost friend seemed happy: Oh, finally you really have put on some weight.

And the bodaboda man, he was B-R-U-T-A-L: Nga ogezze nnyo naawe! Mbadde sikutegedde! Too fat, he nearly didn’t recognize me. 


And I smiled in the dark because I returned to the time when I was so sick and so thin for years, and when I finally recovered from my illness, my waist was thinner than a slay queen’s.

Of course, a thick girth is quite uncomfortable, and costly to the pocket because you have to purchase new outfits, and then you have to go to the gym, and start a special diet of weeds, leaves, and fruit beaten into a nourishing detoxifying juice - which means you have to get a juicing machine.
Other people say my size is “okay” and I should “stay as you are”.

And I thought curvy was in. By the way, aren't there plus-size models laughing all the way to the bank?

There are many reasons the weight piles on as you grow older. My health freak little sister assured me, and I believe her, that eating habits are far from it. Sedentary lifestyles, increase in stress, less sleep, change in hormones- are to blame and believe you me, the fourth floor’s store is fully stocked.
And then there’s the universal law of gravitation, Newton’s law- when everything begins to go South and you don’t feel young and spritely anymore. And your knees creak when you bend them.

Something I’m reading now says, “Our natural muscle mass naturally begins to decline around age 30, and that process, called sarcopenia, accelerates around age 40. Metabolism slows down and the lost muscle is replaced by fat.

My emotionally abusive ex, even in those days when the slay queens had nothing on me, called me “fat”, and it was evident that he relished the way the word rolled out of his mouth. By the way, he couldn’t tie his shoelaces.

When I first went to the US, I saw ten-year olds lugging around excessive folds and rolls on their bodies and looking like 15-year olds.

I’m not there yet. I could be soon. But I will not allow myself to get there, and I will not allow myself any light-headedness over people’s opinions.

Get that sports footwear out Sister, crunch that tummy, stretch those legs, tighten those abs. Stay fit.

PS: I'm not really much of a photo person.

No comments:

Post a Comment