Wednesday 8 November 2017

#thechipshopbaby

The other day the spokesperson for the SFU (there are so many security agencies that I lose count) tweeted that he had given a woman in labour a lift in his car. It was dark and she needed to get to the hospital immediately. And just as he sped off towards the hospital, the baby decided it was time to make an entrance. Good soul, Chris Magezi.
That reminded me of an event I witnessed when I was about 9. One afternoon my Mum sent me to the chips' shop. Where the oily potatoes were packed in a small polythene bag and wrapped in a newspaper. With lots of chilli splashed inside the hot packet.
As I waited for the slow waitress to process my order, I perched on a seat at the window. I needed to look at people. It is one of my favorite pastimes- observing humans. Just then, I saw a woman half-running, half-walking from the market side.
Suddenly, almost simultaneously, she let out an almighty yell and sank to her knees in the dust. The screams were so alarming, I thought she was going to die.
People turned around, wondering what was happening.
Then, a quick-thinking man, transformed into the Good Samaritan. He dashed towards her and scooped her into his arms, carrying her to the verandah right outside the chips shop.
I was rooted to the high stool at the window where I sat. It was like watching a movie.
“Nipatie lesu!" he yelled in Kiswahili, jumping at a woman carrying a basket of sukumawiki on her head and undressing her of the sheet.
By this time, people were aware of what was happening.
A baby was being born right there on the verandah of the chips shop. On a hot Saturday afternoon. Some women formed a ring around her, and suddenly I heard a baby cry, a strong cry.
I nearly forgot the chips as I dashed out, to tell Mum about what I had just seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment